Sunday, December 9, 2012

Apple Butter Neighbor Gifts!

All Day Apple Butter




 This is an amazing and fun recipe for a great treat and /or Neighbor gift!  I was trying to think of what to do this Christmas for neighbors.  It is always a big decision because as much as I love the wonderful treats that come to my doorstep this time of year, it sometimes gets a little overwhelming when most of it is very, very sweet.  I like to find something to give that departs somewhat from the usual and this is the wonderful recipe I found on All recipes    here   ! It has been slightly adapted by me.  This year I am going to send (shhh!  don't tell my neighbors - it's a secret!)  par-baked dinner rolls(so they can finish baking them at home and have hot fresh rolls) accompanied by spicy, delicious apple butter.  I have heard about it for years and it was so easy to do I think I will be doing it every year now.  First....

Wash 5 1/2 lbs. of apples (I used Gala)
Then peel, core, and slice them. (I used my pampered Chef apple peeler, it cuts the time down a lot)

Then dice them into very small chunks.  I do love my Vidalia Chop Wizard! But you can certainly just chop with a knife or chopper.

Place apples in a slow cooker.  Notice how small the pieces are.  They will cook faster.


In a medium bowl, mix in the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.  Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.

Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 9-18 hours. Stir occasionally.  When apples are soft and a deep brown, uncover the cooker and cook on low for 1 more hour to reduce the liquid.  Then  carefully scoop out a few cups at a time and put in the blender.

 Keep blender lid on and be careful not to get burned, the apples will come up higher in the blender and burn if too much is added at once.  Pour pureed apple butter into a bowl and repeat with the rest of the batch.  Test to see if it is done by taking some on a spoon.  If liquid doesn't separate from it you are good to go!  Pour into sterile containers and cover and refrigerate or freeze. I found some cute red and white tiny plastic containers at the dollar store that have snap on lids to use.  I can't wait to give them to neighbors with some dinner rolls! Be sure to check out my next blog for some fantastic rolls that melt in your mouth! Hope you like this recipe too! 




All day Apple Butter

5 1/2 lbs apples cored, peeled, finely diced
4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place the apples in a slow cooker.  In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 18 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour to reduce the liquid and thicken the apple butter.  Scoop into the blender a little at a time and puree.  Refrigerate or freeze in sterile containers.

Can be refrigerated for up to 3 weeks and frozen for up to 6 months!
Makes about 4 pints.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!