Monday, August 12, 2013

Self Frosted Chocolate Zucchini Cake


I promised you Dessert didn't I?   

This recipe is great because it has zucchini in it making it terrifically moist and it also has this crispy, chocolatey, crunchy topping that blows you away!  It is so good it actually makes you glad you have 28 zucchini in your garden ready to be picked!  I have had this recipe for many years and it never fails to delight me when I pull it from the oven.  Have fun sharing this one but make sure to save some for yourself!


Self Frosted Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/3 cup margarine (softened)
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (you can substitute regular milk and sour it by adding 1/2 tsp. baking soda
                               and 1/2 tsp. vinegar)
Cream these ingredients together with the mixer.  

Then in a separate bowl combine these ingredients:

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
Add these dry ingredients together with the creamed ingredients with the mixer. 
Remove bowl from mixer and fold in :
2 cups finely grated zucchini (I peel mine first but that is optional)


yep this is the same batter just a flash picture so you can see it better!

Spread this batter evenly into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.   Now sprinkle evenly on top:

3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup brown sugar

Bake at 350F Degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
 Now go use those Zucchini!

This recipe was shared on these wonderful blogs! 
The Country Cook

17 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks very yummy! I tried to make so zucchini chocolate chip cookies last year but they were just not the same! I think this would be super yummy and moist from the zucchini! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is moist, zucchini is great that way. Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  2. How different! This looks delicious! I would have never thought to put zucchini in brownies, but I will definitely take a chance now! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you too! This is really more of a cake than a brownie. I hope you like that texture too. Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  3. So many zucchini bread and cake recipes this week! I want to try them all. This looks so delicious! Thanks for linking up with us at LOBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day and yum, true!
    WISH I could come through the screen and try one of these right now too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Dawn's and Amber's Blog Strut Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could make that possible! I saw your blog and it is great!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. Yum, this looks and sounds great! I love zucchini bread, I love chocolate, and I love cake so I am sure I would love this! Now following you via Bloglovin'
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks s, so delicious. I love using sneaky ingredients in recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and you don't even know they are there! Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious! Thanks for linking up at LOBS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I don't think I've ever seen a zucchini recipe quite like this one. I love this idea! Pinning to make soon. Thank you so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck...please come back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake is really good. Can't wait to try it on the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing & linking up at Thank You Honey's Whatever Wednesday Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had this today at work...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!