Wednesday, October 23, 2013

No Fear Easy Pie Crust

Easy Delicious Pie Crust! 
pie crust
     Since this is October and a time for all things scary, I thought I would address a fear that a great number of cooks have to deal with periodically throughout their cooking careers.  PIE CRUST!!  There I said it.  Do you break out in a cold sweat when you are ask to make a pie for Thanksgiving?  Do you look through hundreds of recipes trying to find the ONE  that will work and not leave you apologizing after the dinner? Well - you have come to the right place.  

     This crust is so very forgiving and bakes up nicely. It is not a flaky texture but more of a tender crispy kind you get at the store bakery.  The dough holds together well.  You even make it in a mixer bowl so you don't need special tools to cut in the ingredients.  It tastes great every time and will not disappoint you OR scare you!  Here it is, you can thank me later!  


     No Fear Pie Crust


1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup margarine
2/3 cup Crisco (or high quality vegetable shortening)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt 
1 Tablespoon dry milk powder (nonfat)
3 cups pastry flour
1/2 cup ice water

Begin by making sure the butter, margarine, and shortening are at room temperature. (I usually put mine in the microwave for a few seconds on defrost but you have to be very careful not to liquify them!).  Add these all to a mixer bowl and cream using the paddle attachment.  When they are light and creamy, add the sugar, baking powder, salt, and dry milk powder.  Mix together then add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix until all flour is incorporated.

  Then add the water (I add ice to the water and mix it then pour off the needed amount into another measuring cup) and the remaining
1 1/2 cups flour and mix until blended.  

     Remove dough from the mixer bowl to a large piece of plastic wrap and completely cover with wrap.
  Chill in fridge until it is firm and cold throughout.  (I usually put it in for an hour or a half hour in the freezer).  Turn out on a floured counter and roll out until it is about 1/8th inch. 
easy pie crust
      (I make it about the same thickness as the side of my pancake turner).
This dough is a dream to work with and you can roll out the scraps again and it will still be great!
     Cut to desired size and use directions from filling recipe for time and temperature.  This makes one 9-inch two crust pie.  See my Chicken Pot Pie Recipe for time and temperature guidelines for that size of pie.  (Also see it for an amazing pot pie recipe!). (This will be my next post!)



          So now you can go ahead and have a nice scary Halloween and not have to worry about having nightmares full of failed pie crusts!  
     I would love to hear your comments!  

This recipe was adapted from The Lion House Cookbook

This recipe was shared with these wonderful sites!
Buns In My Oven
The Recipe Critic 
Kitchen Meets Girl 
What's Cooking Love 
Mommifried 
My Personal Accent 
The Country Cook
Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons 
Made in a Day 
The Wondering Brain





4 comments:

  1. Hi! New follower from the hop! This looks delish!!!

    Come and check out our link up!!

    kate

    www.designermommy13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I just wanted to say thanks so much for stoppin' by my blog and leaving a comment on my guest blogger's post: Photography Exposure Tips! Congrats on the new camera and hopefully you found this post helpful! Have a great week :o)

    croppedstories@gmail.com
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking pie crust! My mom was a wonderful pie baker. Too bad I didn't learn from her. She taught cooking classes! I wasn't interested at the time. I am pinning this!

    Thanks for linking up with us at The Four Seasons Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!